Laser dentistry is the procedure that utilizes the laser light in order to treat various types of dental problems. This technology is most often used by medical experts where they use lasers. Lasers are known as the extremely focused beams of light that has the ability to remove tissue or alter the tissue in very small quantity. Surgery by the help of laser is not restricted to only dentistry, but due to the lack of knowledge many people do not have enough information on laser dentistry and how to perform it.
Laser dentistry is a broad term and many dental surgeons use this laser treatment in variety of dental procedures which involves the treatment in oral cavity that includes the whole mouth, where the dentists first motive is to remove the overgrown tissue from the mouth, and after that they whiten the teeth’s and reform the shape of the gums. Sometimes, laser dentistry is considered to be the perfect treatment for the children who becomes very anxious or afraid during the procedure of other dental treatment.
Types of lasers used in laser dentistry
There are basically two types of lasers used in laser dentistry treatment that is mentioned below:
- Hard tissue lasers: The hard tissue laser is a procedure that includes detecting of the tooth cavity, preparing the tooth and dental fillings, treating any sensitivity present in the tooth.
- Soft tissue lasers: The soft tissue laser is a technique that involves lengthening of the crown, muscle treatment by attaching/bonding the muscles, correcting any folds present of soft tissue and treating gummy smile.
Both these procedures help dental professionals achieve superior results while generating higher return on investment.
Advantages of laser dentistry
Some of the noticeable advantages of laser dentistry are as follows:
- Laser dentistry utilizes high energy beams of laser that helps in clotting of the exposed blood vessels, and thus inhibiting the bleeding and loss of blood.
- Dental procedures that are performed using the soft tissue lasers may not need stitches, and thus a patient may not experience any pain after treatment.
- In some procedures, laser dentistry basically eliminates the use of anesthesia.
- Dental lasers are very precise; hence, the chances of damage to adjacent tissues are minimized.
- Dental lasers help the wounds to heal quicker by helping the tissues also regenerate faster.
- High energy laser beam sterilizes the area which is being worked on, so the bacterial infections are much minimized.
Cost of Laser Dentistry in India
Laser dentistry has been done to deal with the host of the dental problems. The average cost of laser dentistry in India and its procedures can be varied in between Rs 1000 and Rs 30000 depending upon the number of tooth to be worked on, doctors’ fees, hospital premises etc. .
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
Dentists recommended laser dentistry because of the wide variety of benefits that can make the procedures go very smoothly, and also minimize the discomfort and healing time for the patients.
- Anesthesia cannot be a compulsory regimen during laser dentistry treatment.
- Patients are very less likely to require sutures.
- Laser dentistry is a low pain treatment
- It causes less damage to the gums which shortens the healing time and faster tissue regeneration.
- It is a sterile procedure so that the laser beam will sterilize the gums, making the infections very less likely to occur.
- Patients also tend to lose less blood in laser dentistry treatment in comparison to traditional surgery.
- It is the most suitable method for children.